King Charles has been diagnosed with a form of cancer.
The news broke Monday, when Buckingham Palace released a statement and said it was discovered during his recent treatment for an enlarged prostate.
They have not specified what kind of cancer the 75-year-old monarch is facing, but said that he has started treatment.
“During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted,” the statement reads. “Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.”
“His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties,” the statement added.
He will, however, continue with his constitutional role as head of state and “will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.”
No further details are being shared on the stage of cancer or a prognosis.
The news comes a week after he was discharged from a private London clinic following treatment for his enlarged prostate.
The King’s cancer diagnosis means the Royal Family is now facing the blow of having two working royals out of commission – Kate Middleton, 42, is also taking a break from duties while she recovers from an unspecified abdominal surgery.
The Princess of Wales is expected to be in recovery for another couple of months. Kensington Palace previously said that it is unlikely she will make any official public appearances before Easter, which is on March 31.
Get the latest National news.
Sent to your email, every day.
The palace added that the King “has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
Prince Harry, who lives in the United States, has been in contact with his father and will travel to see him in the coming days, reports BBC.
The King was last seen in public at Sandringham on Sunday, attending church service with his wife, Queen Camilla – the first time he had been seen since he was discharged from the London Clinic.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took to the social media platform X to share his best wishes for the King’s health.
“I, like Canadians across the country and people around the world, am thinking of His Majesty King Charles III as he undergoes treatment for cancer. We’re sending him our very best wishes – and hoping for a fast and full recovery,” Trudeau posted.
Governor General Mary Simon, the King’s representative in Canada, says that she and her husband Whit join all Canadians in sending their best wishes to King Charles as he begins his cancer treatment.
“His Majesty has always led with passion and he has always endeavoured to inspire others to create a better world. Today, with this news, he once again is leading by example. So many Canadians are going through this battle. Two out of every five Canadians will be diagnosed with a type of cancer in their lifetime,” Simon said in a statement.
“Seeing His Majesty acknowledge cancer so openly and publicly will hopefully encourage and motivate those who are struggling with their own treatment. We admire The King’s strength and determination as he confronts this disease.”
Ontario Premier Doug Ford said in a post on X that on behalf of Ontarians, he wishes Charles a “fast return to good health.”
“God save the King,” he wrote.
The province’s lieutenant governor Edith Dumont said she was saddened to hear of Charles’ cancer diagnosis.
“During what must be a difficult time, I commend His Majesty for sharing his diagnosis publicly to help raise awareness of the impact that cancer can have on people’s lives,” Dumont said.
“On behalf of Ontarians, I send my best wishes for a full recovery.”
Charles became King in September 2022 when his mother Queen Elizabeth II died at the age of 96.
This is a developing story, check back for updates.
— with files from Global News’ David Baxter and Ryan Rocca
© 2024 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.